Tax Amendment Tips

If find that you made an error on a previous tax return, you can correct it by sending in an amendment.

Amendment Tips

  • Amend your return if your filing status, dependents, total income or deductions/credits need correction
  • Do not amend if you find a math error or missing forms
  • Use form 1040X
  • Multiple years should be sent separately


  • If you are due an additional refund, wait until you receive your original refund
  • If you owe tax, pay as soon as possible to avoid further penalties
  • File within 3 years
  • Processing time is generally 9 to 12 weeks

Learn More

Leave A Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

About Arden Lux Lane

My name is Arden Lux Lane and I run The QuickBooks Resource. I am also the owner of Lux Bookkeeping and have been using QuickBooks since 2001 and helping small businesses since 2006.

Lux BookkeepingBizarre as it may sound, I actually enjoy accounting and helping small business owners get the most out of QuickBooks.

Learn more about Arden Lux Lane.